httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Kishore Jalleda" <kjall...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Mod_Expires "If-Modified-Since" Problem
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:18:49 GMT
Hi,
     I compiled apache 1.3.34 with mod_expires module, and add the
configuration in httpd.conf, as follows
<Directory "/export/htdocs/">
<IfModule mod_expires.c>
ExpiresActive on
ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 5 hours"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 5 hours"
ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 5 hours"
ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 5 hours"
ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash "access plus 5 hours"
</IfModule>
</Directory>

now when I try to load a page with lot of gif's for first time , i see that
IE requests all the objects (gif, jpg, css, js etc),
and I also see a expires header sent by apache, but when I load it the
second time, i see that the number of packets between apache and IE have
reduced but , IE still sends requests for *.gif files and apache responds
with a 200 OK header, and sends all the gif's again, but surprising IE sends
a If-Modified-Since header for objects like *.js, *.css, even though I
haveen't included them in the conf, and apache nicely sends back a 304 and
IE loads them from cache.

on a test box with the exact conf, when I load a page second time, IE sends
the If-Modified-Since header with the GET request and apache returns a 304
not modified header thus IE loads the images not modified from its cache..

so I am wondering what is happening here, I have tried this conf on 3 to 4
production boxes but IE never ever sends the If-Modified-Since header with
the GET request, so that apache can return a 304 not modified......

is there somehting I am missing, its surprising its working as expected on
the test box ...

Kishore Jalleda