httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Knecht <david.kne...@anyweb.ch>
Subject [users@httpd] Single Sign-On to Virtual Hosts
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 08:59:28 GMT
This is probably a rather simple question related to single sign-on to
virtual hosts. Although I did some research I need some advice that
points me to the right direction...

This is the environment:

Virtual host A; Allowed users: administrator, user_a
Virtual host B; Allowed users: administrator, user_b
Virtual host C; Allowed users: administrator, user_a, user_c

I'd like to create an administrator account using Apache's basic
authentication feature. Whenever the administrator is successfully
authenticated to one of these virtual hosts then no additional
authentication/login should be required when accessing the other virtual
hosts. The same applies to non-administrator users. Here, every
individual user is allowed to login only to explicitely assigned virtual
hosts.

I am currently using this type of authentication definitions in every
single virtual host container of my test setup:

	<Location "/xyz">
	        AuthType Basic
	        AuthName "Virtual Host A"
		AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/virtual_host_a_htpasswd
	        Require valid-user
	</Location>

Every virtual host container is currently using its own AuthUserFile. I
assume that using one single AuthUserFile (/etc/httpd/htpasswd) for all
user definitions as well as "Require administrator user_a" etc. on every
individual virtual host is the way to go. However, I did not manage to
make the single sign-on work so far...

I am using Apache 2.0.52.

Thanks for your help, David