httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ben Hoyt <>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] "Content-Length: 0" problem in GET request
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 03:41:47 GMT
Ugh! Just had the "duh!" moment. It was my CGI script's fault all along.

To get the POST/GET parameters, I was only parsing the QUERY_STRING
environment variable if CONTENT_LENGTH was non-null, whereas I should
have been parsing it if CONTENT_LENGTH was non-null *and* non-zero.

I didn't immediately connect that to the "Content-Length: 0" header
(though it obviously is the same thing), because I knew my CGI script
wasn't parsing the headers, Apache was. But of course Apache just
converts that header to the CONTENT_LENGTH environment variable . . .

Thanks for reading anyway,

Ben Hoyt wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've got a problem with a "Content-Length: 0" header in GET requests.
> I discovered it because some requests from newish mobile phone
> browsers weren't working. Anyway, I captured the headers these phones
> were sending in the GET request, and narrowed it down to them having a
> It seems like an Apache or Apache config issue, because I don't think
> there's a problem including that "Content-Length: 0" header in the GET
> request ... though I could be missing something obvious.
> Any pointers or info would be much appreciated. I'm using Apache
> 2.0.47 under Win32 (WinXP SP2).
> Thanks heaps,
> Ben.

Ben Hoyt |

Harvest Electronics | PO Box 446 | 10 Pragnell St | Masterton | New Zealand | Tel +64 6 370 1991 | Fax +64 6 370 1993

See <URL:> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
   "   from the digest:
For additional commands, e-mail: