httpd-users mailing list archives

From RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <l...@computerking.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] CNAME and A records not working?
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2006 11:08:31 GMT
Boyle Owen wrote:

> [...]
config. I presume all hostnames have to resolve to the same IP? So, work on the DNS config
until this is so (test DNS using "nslookup" - not by typing the hostnames into a browser).

I think it is simple and has to be a redirect here is some of my tests

this is so! blazebartending.com is their main site
www.blazebartending.com is a sitealias atest is an A record and
ctest.blazebartending.com is a CNMAE that points to www.canmail.org but
when i type ctest into my browser it takes me to the content that is
setup in the apache vhost container.  I guess this what i wanted
NOT!!!!! but does make sense i think.  at first i had no content infact
no container so browser took me  the first virtual host is my httpd.conf
file.  F*&k why did it used to work now it mostly makes sense that is
dosent i gotta go to be it is after 4am here.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup blazebartending.com
Server:  computerking.ca
Address:  192.168.0.202

Name:    blazebartending.com
Address:  68.144.188.169

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup www.blazebartending.com
Server:  computerking.ca
Address:  192.168.0.202

Name:    blazebartending.com
Address:  68.144.188.169
Aliases:  www.blazebartending.com

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup mail.blazebartending.com
Server:  computerking.ca
Address:  192.168.0.202

Name:    mail.blazebartending.com
Address:  68.144.188.169

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup atest.blazebartending.com
Server:  computerking.ca
Address:  192.168.0.202

Name:    atest.blazebartending.com
Address:  68.144.188.169

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup ctest.blazebartending.com
Server:  computerking.ca
Address:  192.168.0.202

Name:    www.canmail.org
Address:  68.144.188.169
Aliases:  ctest.blazebartending.com

>Once you have DNS working reliably using nslookup, try the hostnames in a browser. If
you still have problems, check your ServerName and ServerAlias directives in each VH. Post
back if you need further help.

>BTW, it would help if you posted real domain names - since this could be a DNS issue,
it would be better if we could check it ourselves.

 and when u do an nslookp u get the cname bit and i thought apache
picked up on that

Strangeness abounds i solved the problem by adding an additional vhost
to every site similar to below now everything works but it is weird.  I
do not quite understand cause i used to us cnames like further below and
they worked fine on my freesbd box.  Now that i am forced into using
this fredora 3 machine not sure if the problem is related to os or
not.   Anyway to make things work i changed to an A record but then the
www.canmail.org cannot be used and i have to use a raw ip so apache
cannot guess that i want www.canmail.org right?  Therefore i added the
vhost with redirect and now things work.   Puzzling me still is this
the rest of my vhost work fine ie www.site, old.site and new.site just
not when they are pointed to www.canmail.org.  Hell even
mail.computerking.ca     CNAME    shoematers.com    works well not
anymore cause i redirected it to www.canmail.org too.  But it is a cname
and it still works.   but mail.blazebartending.com  INCNAME
www.canmail.org doesnt work until redirected.  arrrgh i have been
messing with this for 2 days and i like the cname solution better i make
dns changes not sure if i have to wait

i cloud go one and one so many angles to the dangle help it works but am
still not happy

<VirtualHost *:80>

        ServerAdmin admin@blazebartending.com
        ServerName mail.blazebartending.com
        ErrorLog logs/blazebartending.com-error_log
        CustomLog logs/blazebartending.com-access_log common
        Redirect permanent / http://www.canmail.org/

</VirtualHost>

mail.computerking.ca.           IN CNAME        shoemasters.com.

>Rgds,
>Owen Boyle
>Disclaimer: Any disclaimer attached to this message may be ignored.
>

>>I have a vhost in apache called host1.com it have a serveralias of
>>www.host1.com.  I used to use a DNS CNAME for the
>>www.host1.com and then
>>create another virtual host for that too.  So i had 2 virtual host
>>containers for almost every site seems a bit cleaner and more
>>sensible
>>to just omit the CNAME in DNS and add a serveralias in apache.  This
>>save me the bother of maintaining another entire virtual host
>>container
>>for each site.  Is one more correct than the other  they both seem to
>>work ok but it is kinda confusing.  Note host1.com and www.host1.com
>>point to the same server and the same content all  work well.
>>
>>Anyway here is my problem There is also another record in my
>>DNS named
>>mail.host1.com it points to a different vhost named
>>www.mail.portal.org
>>also on the same  server.  I am using www.mail.portal.org as a email
>>portal for several sites so i added CNAMES to the DNS for these sites
>>like so
>>
>>mail.host1.com    IN CNAME     www.mail.portal.com
>>
>>this does not seem to work  so i tried an A record
>>
>>mail.host1.com   IN A    123.123.123.123
>>
>>this does not seem to work either apache seems to pick up the
>>connection
>>but it takes me to the first virtual host listed in the
>>httpd.conf file
>>host.com.  I need apache to accept the connection and redirect me
>>www.mail.portal.com.  Why doenst this work i have a similar
>>setup on a
>>different server and i works fine with CNAMES could it be the
>>serveralias thingy as i do not use it on the other server the
>>one that
>>works.

>Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur
Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal
nature. It is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent
e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe
SWX.

>This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary
the sender's company.