httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Manilal K M" <libreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Basic Authentication not working in Gentoo Linux
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:06:04 GMT
On 14/03/06, Boyle Owen <Owen.Boyle@swx.com> wrote:
> [...]
to allow them to then be overridden (unless you have a really complicated setup - I'm guessing
you have a simple setup).

> I would remove this directive and also check you don't have a .htaccess file in /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin/BackupPC.
If you do, decide if you need it... (especially if it has "Satisfy any" in it...).

> If that doesn't get it working or if you want further advice about .htaccess files and
when to use and not to use them, check the docs http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/htaccess.html
and/or post back (add error and access log entries).

> Rgds,
> Owen Boyle
>
> >                 AuthType Basic
> >                 AuthUserFile /usr/local/etc/htpasswd
> >                 Require user libregeek
> >         </Directory>
> > </VirtualHost
> >
> > I am able to run the same setup in my Fedora Core 4 server. But it
> > fails in the Gentoo Server. I can't get what had gone wrong. I
> > searched the MARC archives, but couldn't find a workable solution.
> > Please help me. I am in great trouble.
> > I can't find anything wrong in either syslog or apache log. Any help
> > would be appreciable.
> >
> > regards
> > Manilal

Dear Mr. Owen,
   I  have comment out the directive _AllowOverride AuthConfig_ as you
suggested. I have also checked in the
/var/www/localhost/cgi-bin/BackupPC for any .htaccess files. The
folder doesn't have any .htaccess files. But still the authentication
dialog doesn't appear and the browser directly displays the protected
page.
regards
Manilal