httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Manilal K M" <libreg...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Basic Authentication not working in Gentoo Linux
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:55:12 GMT
Hello all,
   I am a newbie in apache, less than 2 weeks of experience. I am
trying to protect one of my directory in the web server with Basic
authentication. I am using Gentoo Linux with apache-2.0.55. I see that
auth_module is loaded  as a Module. I have configured the Virtual Host
like this. The problem is that the login dialog box never appears in
the browser and the web page is immediately displayed. The
configuration I used is (from /etc/apache2/httpd.conf):
user backuppc
group backuppc
<VirtualHost anaconda.localhost.com:80>
        DocumentRoot /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin/BackupPC
        ServerAdmin root@anaconda.localhost.com
        ServerName anaconda.localhost.com
        ErrorLog logs/anaconda.localhost.com-error_log
        CustomLog logs/anaconda.localhost.comaccess_log common
        <Directory /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin/BackupPC>
                Options FollowSymLinks
                Options +ExecCGI
                AuthName "Tiger Login:"
                AllowOverride AuthConfig
                AuthType Basic
                AuthUserFile /usr/local/etc/htpasswd
                Require user libregeek
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost

I am able to run the same setup in my Fedora Core 4 server. But it
fails in the Gentoo Server. I can't get what had gone wrong. I
searched the MARC archives, but couldn't find a workable solution.
Please help me. I am in great trouble.
I can't find anything wrong in either syslog or apache log. Any help
would be appreciable.

regards
Manilal