httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] only one ip per user (has many connections) can access resource at the same time ?
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2006 07:34:17 GMT

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of HTTP. It is not a conection-based protocol (like
the telephone), it is connection-less and stateless and works with the client and server exchanging
messages (ie, it is electronic document mail-order). So, at the HTTP layer, you don't really
have people "logged in" at all...

Having said all that, you can provide the illusion of sessions and statefullness, but only
by loading an application on top of HTTP - this would be some form of session tracking using
cookies, for example. For this, you need additional server-sided logic (eg, CGI, PHP, Cocoon,
etc.) and it can't be done simply by configuring apache.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> thanks.
> tvlgiao.