httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Re: htaccess AuthType Basic: some files get served without a password challenge!
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:15:54 GMT

Aha!......... I don't recall you mentioning that your server was at your
ISP or that some of the content was provided by Tomcat... So not quite
so plain and simple, after all.

Anyway, it looks like your apache config is redirecting requests for XLS
to tomcat. Obviously, this will happen before any .htaccess file is read
(the file is only read if a request results in a file access in the
target dir). Therefore it skips the authentication.

> Any ideas to circumvent this? Thx

If you don't have access to the main config - no.

If you do, define the Auth directives in a <Location> container - this
[I think] will get parsed before the redirect to tomcat. Or, implement
the password access in Tomcat
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/realm-howto.html

Rgds,
Owen Boyle