httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Scott Miller" <srmil...@interbel.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Premature end of script headers
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 19:47:38 GMT
>> Fedora Core 4
>> Apache 2.0.54
>>
>> I seem to be having this same problem.  I read the manual at:
>>
>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/cgi.html#writing
>>
>> and created the "first.pl" file.  when I run "./first.pl" from the
>> command
>> line, all it prints is:

>> and does not print the "Hello, World." at all.
>>
>> And in my browser - it gives me the "Internal Server Error"
>>
>> All it says in my error logs is:
>>
>> [Thu Feb 23 08:55:35 2006] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] Premature end of
>> script headers: first.pl
>>
>> If anyone could point me in the direction where I need to look, it would
>> be
>> greatly appriciated
>
> It sounds a lot like you are missing the empty line that terminates
> the header.    This is the 'header' that initiates the transfer and
> precedes the <html><head>... stuff.   It is usually sent for you when
> the server reads and sends out a .html file.    But if you are running
> a script or binary that is creating the content, you have to take care
> of that little detail.
>
> You need to start with a line something like:

> eg.  in Perl, for example a print for the first of the data sent
>    would look like:
>
>  print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
>

> ////jerry

That's exactly what I have - here's the first.pl file:

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "Hello, World.";

Also - I guess ie does work via command line as shown:

[root@serv7 cgi-bin]# ./first.pl

Hello, World.[root@serv7 cgi-bin]#

Just "missed" it since it was on the same line - I then added a couple \n\n
to it, and it prints nicely.

However, it does not display anything vai the browser - just the "Internal
Server Error"

[Thu Feb 23 12:45:35 2006] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] Premature end of
script headers: first.pl

Thanks for the help.
Scott