httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mike Z <tar...@spamcop.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Rewriting HTTP_HOST to directories
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:21:54 GMT
Good afternoon,

    After reading through the mod_rewrite and rewrite guide docs and
tinkering with things a bit, I have to admit I'm still in the dark. Here
is what I'm attempting to do:

I'm setting up service to offer domain names to users on a free web
hosting service. Currently, when a user signs up with the free service,
they receive a subdirectory on our site, in the form of
/var/www/html/ourhost.com/user. As doing virtual hosts for all the
potential users is impractical, and the mass virtual hosting can't
translate into this directory structure, I'd like to use a RewriteMap to
translate domains to these directories, e.g.

test.com   /var/www/html/ourhost.com/user

Can someone provide me with a bit of help as to how to accomplish this?

Thank you,

Mike