httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan S. Abrams" <j.abr...@nutmegaudiopost.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 403 Forbidden Error
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 17:22:16 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

>On 2/7/06, Jonathan S. Abrams <j.abrams@nutmegaudiopost.com> wrote:
>

>>If I attempt to go to a directory on my web server, such as /test/, I
>>get Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /test/ on this
>>server.  Now, if I try to go to a file within that directory, such as
>>/test/test.txt, the .txt file will display in my browser.
>>

>The first thing to look at is the error_log.  No point in doing any
>further debugging before knowing exactly what it says in there.

Ah, yes.  Unfortunately, I already looked there and did not find
anything.  Warn, notice, error, alert, and emerg are the only types of
entries I see.  The error_log file is not being updated after I attempt
to go to /test/ and get the 403 error, nor does it contain any data from
previous attempts.  Could this be related to the level of error logging
specified in the conf file?  Do I need to blow out the contents of
error_log?

>>In my httpd.conf file, I have a line that reads Options +Indexes
>>FollowSymLinks.
>>

>Do not mix + and non-+ Options.  Try
>Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

Done, but it has not made a difference.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/FAQ.html#forbidden

> That has nothing to do with your
>problem, but will make certain config files availble for public
>download that you probably dont' need to make available.

Ok then, I have regressed that change (Deny from all).

>>The user that originally configured this setup a virtual host conf file,
>>located at /conf/sites/myconf.conf.  The last line of httpd.conf
>>includes a reference (via *.conf) to this file.  Inside the myconf.conf
>>file, I have a line that reads Options +Indexes ExecCGI IncludesNoExec.
>>

>Again, remove the "+".

Done, but again, it has not made a difference.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

-Jonathan