httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark McCulligh <mmccu...@visualtech.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SSL / HTML question
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:02:14 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

>On 2/6/06, Mark McCulligh <mmcculli@visualtech.ca> wrote:
>

>>If you have a login html (http://www.ex.com/login.html) where the <form>
>>action is to a https website (https://www.ex2.com/login_script.php).
>>Will the login information be submitted encrypted. Or does the user
>>first have to be on to the secure website before loggin in?
>>
>>Just wondering when you go from http(80) to https(443) when does the
>>data start to be secured?
>>

>Each request is independent.  So when the user hits the "POST" button,
>a new request is started to the https server that will carry the data
>encrypted.
>But this scheme is subject to man-in-the-middle attacks.  An attacker
>with access to the wire could replace login.html with his own page
>that looks the same but directs the POST to his own server.   So
>unless you have users that always carefully examine the web page
>source code, you should make the form ecrypted as well.

Thanks Joshua, just what I wanted to know.

In short what I am doing is I have a couple static websites and one
secure website they can login in to manage their website. The clients
want the login form on their website and I don't what to purchase
multiple SSL just for the login form. The client should alway be logging
in on their website for I hope they reallize if they where not on their
website. But as we all know users can be stupid or though emails ask you
to click here to verify your credit card wouldn't still be out there.

Mark.

>Joshua.

Mark McCulligh, Web Consultant
VisualTech Components www.VisualTech.ca