httpd-users mailing list archives

From Richard de Vries <richard_devr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apachectl and multiple daemons
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2006 03:33:52 GMT
Thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry. I
indeed wanted process isolation. The server I am
currently building out needs to support several
development groups; all which require their own
webserver instance.

Initially I was wanting to go with IP based virtual
hosting, but this would not allow me to shutdown one
of the instances without affecting the others.
Additionally, a poorly written application in one of
the instances could negatively affect performance
and/or stability of the others as well. So, for this
particular environment I thought it'd be best to run
multiple daemons. (each instance using a unique IP
address).

Anyway, after reading the various replies, I decided
to make some minor modifications to "apachectl" to
support multiple daemons (instances). Now, when
running "apachectl stop|start|restart|graceful" it
will apply to all instances (useful as a /etc/init.d
startup script). However, if I want to
start/stop/restart a particular instance, I can do a
"apachectl start|stop|restart|graceful instance-name"
instead.

So, all is well right now :-)

Thanks again for all your replies!

Cheers,