httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Glenn Puckett" <gpuck...@metamap.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache/ODBC
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:11:28 GMT
Hello,

I am having trouble determining how to make an application work on the
Apache web server.  Currently this application is installed on a Win2003
Server using IIS.  It is based on Perl with databases in FoxPro files.

We are starting a long drawn out process of migrating to a Java application
probably running Tomcat and MS SQL.  I have been asked to first develop a
module using the ODBC interface that will extract data from the FoxPro files
and build flat files that other Perl programs can access.  (Please don't
respond that I shouldn't be doing this.  I am fully aware of the
inadvisability of this approach.  However, this is the only way management
would agree to consider this migration.  If I can't get this step to work
management may trash the entire project.  I have to prove the new technology
each step of the way.)

I have written a Java module that accesses the FoxPro files and generates
the proper flat files.  I have also executed the module from a Perl module
using the "system()" command.  But when I attempt to execute the Java module
from Perl as part of a web CGI running under Apache it fails.  I get the
message:

ERROR 2006-02-21 15:06:26,421 [main] CamaSource::getConnection:41
getConnection() failed

ERROR 2006-02-21 15:06:26,421 [main] CamaSource::getConnection:42
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default
driver specified

The data source IS valid as this same module runs both independently as well
as from a Perl program run on the command line.  The only real difference is
that the failure happens when the connection is attempted from the web
environment.  It appears that Apache is masking or preventing access to the
ODBC data sources.

I have been searching message boards and blogs for 2 days and have found a
lot of references to the libodbc.so module for Apache but can't really find
any direct reference to how to install/configure it or where it can be
obtained.  I am stuck and getting into a real time issue.

Can someone please help instruct me how to set up Apache on WinXP to allow
modules access to ODBC data sources?

It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn Puckett