httpd-users mailing list archives

From Shane <shane-apa...@cm.nu>
Subject [users@httpd] INFLATE filter and content decompression
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:30:52 GMT
Hello list,

I am attempting to migrate a server from apache 1.x to
2.0.55 and have hit a bit of a snag.  I'm using mod_gunzip
under 1.x which allows one to store gziped content and if
the browser supports gzip compression, the content gets
passed through.  Otherwise, it is decompressed.  The files
themselves are .html files and not .html.gz so I don't have
to adjust href links.  mod_gunzip figures out whether an
.html is gzipped or not based on the file header or so I
assume.

I am looking for a way to do this under Apache2 and am
wondering whether anyone has any ideas.  I have tried this:
<Files .html>
SetOutputFilter INFLATE
</Files>

But when I send a request without browser gzip support, I
get the gzip content regardless.  I have also tried this
from a blog post:
ExtFilterDefine gunzip intype="application/x-gzip"
outtype="text/plain" mode=output cmd="/bin/zcat -c -d"
<Files .html>
SetOutputFilter gunzip
</Files>

But I imagine this does the same thing as the inflate
filter and has the same result.  That is the content is
never decompressed.

Any assistance greatly appreciated,
Shane

--