httpd-users mailing list archives

From emammen...@superig.com.br
Subject [users@httpd] You don't have permission to access
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:38:00 GMT
Hello

I read the docs and tried to search the archive4s (There is no search engine
on the apache archives - if there is please let me know). but I couldn't find
anything that can help me with the error "You don't have permission to
access".

I have no problem to access the default apache page (Welcome to ...) so I
assume that I have installed apache ok.  The only thing I want to do with
apache is to allow my users to have the web pages with authentication so I
did (on /etc/http/httpd2.conf)

AccessFileName .htaccess

<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
    UserDir /var/www/users/*/public_html
</IfModule>

then mkdir /var/www/users/xxx/public_html. In this dir I put an
index.html, .htaccess and .htpasswd ( htpasswd -c .htpasswd xxx).

When I point to xx.xxx.org/~xxx, apache returns

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~xxx on this server

the log shows

[Fri Feb 17 19:36:34 2006] [error] [client 000000000] client denied by server
configuration: /var/www/users/xxx/public_html

What have I done wrong?

Many thanks

Ed