httpd-users mailing list archives

From Vizzini Sampere <osh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Performance issue
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 03:45:15 GMT
> Is there a performance hit when using mod_mime_magic with a large
> number of images, most of which are gif?

yes, there would be a performance drop if mod_mime is not successful,
and the fallback mod_mime_magic is called.  mod_mime_magic emulates
unix 'file' command which derives the file type from content rather
then the extension.  depending on the magic file in use, this could be
a large problem.

In the ideal case: apache receives the request, mod_mime returns the
mime type, and finally apache uses the kernel sendfile call. mod_mime
needs to be loaded before mod_mime_magic.

However with mod_mime_magic in the loop, if mod_mime could not
determine the mime type, mod_mime_magic then opens the file,
determines the mime-type, finally apache sends the file (hopefully
with sendfile).

Why do you need to use mod_mime_magic?  Apache 2 has it disabled by
default I believe...

> I have ruled out the network, multiple OC48 connections, gigabit
> ethernet backbone, full duplex gigabit NIC.
>
> We see the issue from several external sources.
>
> The server is Red Hat 3ES, Apache 2.0.48, mod_php 4.3.2.

You probably should be running two servers; one for dynamic content,
the other for static.  I typically run two separate instances with
different dns names.

I've read about, but never tried, using a static server for the
primary that uses a mod_proxy (?) to transparently pass requests
to/from the secondary server (same ipaddress, but not port 80) for
dynamic content...

You should consider moving to apache 2.6; I've seen a significant bump
in performance on highly loaded systems.  Personally I attribute this
to the O(1) scheduler, but I'm no guru...

-Vizzini