httpd-users mailing list archives

From Muhammad Rizwan <riz...@nixpanel.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] bandwidth
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:59:08 GMT
>>after the event: Process the logs. Different VHs can have their own
>>log files, so just count the hits in each log (or parse the logs using
>>an analysis tool). If only one log, various log processors can analyse
>>them and produce reports (google for "apache log processing").

I have heard this solution i.e. parsing of log file. Can you plz tell me
Which entries from my access_log file i should use and how this 'll help
me in calculating the bandwidth.

>>That's weird - apache always logs... Are you sure you're looking in
>>the correct directory? I suspect you might be starting/stopping the
>>wrong apache (especially considering your next question).

YES, im sure im looking for exact log file, i.e.
/etc/httpd/logs/error_log and /etc/httpd/logs/access_log.
access_log is totally empty while error_log have some entries.

Thanks for your help.

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 08:11, Boyle Owen wrote:
> [...]
you need some network analyser - google for "network packet sniffer". If not (ie, name-based
VHs), you might find some 3rd party module that works at the HTTP layer (ie, uses the "Host"
header to distinguish traffic).

> - after the event: Process the logs. Different VHs can have their own log files, so just
count the hits in each log (or parse the logs using an analysis tool). If only one log, various
log processors can analyse them and produce reports (google for "apache log processing").

> > Second thing my access_log and error_log files are empty, although
> > CustomLog logs/access_log combined and ErrorLog logs/error_log are
> > enabled.
>
> That's weird - apache always logs... Are you sure you're looking in the correct directory?
I suspect you might be starting/stopping the wrong apache (especially considering your next
question).

> > How i can check version of apache through command line.
>
> This question makes me suspect you might have several apaches installed - especially
when we consider your funny "empty logs" problem.

> To answer the question:
>
> - go to the apache bin directory (eg, /usr/local/apache2/bin)
> - ./httpd -v
>
> NB: ./httpd -h will give you a list of other options (-V and -l are particularly useful).
>
> Rgds,
> Owen Boyle
>

> > Thanks!!!

> Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur
Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal
nature. It is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent
e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe
SWX.

> This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary
the sender's company.