httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] high load average on Apache 1.3 hosting 8000 conc. users forum
Date Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:54:02 GMT
On 1/29/06, devnull@plugthebox.net <devnull@plugthebox.net> wrote:
> Dear List members,
> I'm the administrator of a big website that hosts an important forum
> (VBulletin to be precise). At peak time we get around 7000-9000
> concurrent users (counting the php sessions, members visiting the forum)
> the switch (Foundry) counts 2700 concurrent connections.
>
> during those peak times, the apache server (RHEL 4 AS, Apache 1.3, php)
> gets a load average of 80~170. the mysql server runs smoothly at 0.9 ~
> 3.
>
> Browsing the Internet / following some optimizations HOWTOs didn't help.
> Can anyone kindly support me on that issue?

You need to work on the diagnosis before you work on the cure.  Load
average means almost nothing for a web server.  What exactly is
concerning you?  Are the responses slow?  How is memory usage?  Are
your disks maxed out?

In general, tuning apache itself won't get you very far (unless you
are serving mostly static files).  You need to make sure you have
adequate resources for your site and perhaps tune php and your
database.

Joshua.