httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Unsorted timestamping in Apache2 log files
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:59:27 GMT
On 1/18/06, mdemuro@tiscali.it <mdemuro@tiscali.it> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have problems with throughput calculation from log files in apache2.
> Using "classic" awk scripts the output is messy due to the fact that
> the lines in the log are not sorted with respect to time.
>  In fact each line of the logs has the timestamp of when the request
> has been made; this means that different response times urls have
> different orders depending on the response time itself.
>
>  - Is this a known bug? (with correspondig fix...)
>  - Is there any configuration workaround? (I cannot fix the source
> code and recompile it)

Apache logs are not sorted by time.  That is just a fact, not a bug.
The time is calculated when the request is received but the log line
is written after the response is sent.  You can easily sort them
yourself after-the-fact if you need time-sorted logs.  Otherwise,
there is no "solution" that doesn't involve recompiling.

Joshua.