httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache reverse and caching proxy
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:11:27 GMT
On 1/12/06, Wim.Van.Leuven@ldc.be <Wim.Van.Leuven@ldc.be> wrote:
> When inspecting the debug logs and the http headers, all files get cached at
> the proxy. However when I change the modification time of the files on the
> source servers, the cache doesn't get updated. Thus still serving the old
> version of the file.
>
> As a matter a fact, once a file is cached, the source server is never
> accessed anymore to verify the correctness of the cache against the remote
> instances.
>
> Does anybody have a clue about which sublety I'm missing here?

The cache uses standard http caching rules, which require period
checks for content updates based either on Cache-Control, Expires, or
Last-Modified headers.  If you want the cache to check for new content
on every request, you need to make the back-end send "Cache-Control:
must-revalidate" or something like that.

Joshua.