httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jason Keltz <...@cs.yorku.ca>
Subject [users@httpd] problem with mod_auth and mod_auth_pam working together
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:43:58 GMT
I'm running Apache 1.3.34 along with mod_auth and mod_auth_pam.
I am trying to make a link available to anyone in /etc/passwd or VIA
mod_auth basic authentication.

The .htaccess is as follows:

AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /cs/home/jas/passwords
AuthPAM_Enabled on
AuthPAM_FallThrough on
AuthAuthoritative Off
Require valid-user

Everything works except when the username that is entered does not exist
in /etc/passwd AND does not exist in the basic password file.  When this
happens, the web server records:

configuration error:  couldn't check user.  No user file?: /~jas/mylink

... but there is definately a user file there since valid username and
password combos work.

I don't think the problem is mod_auth_pam .. it seems to be falling
through correctly.
It is as if when mod_auth fails, it sends the request off into the bit
bucket instead of realizing that it is at the end of the chain.

How can I tell Apache with AuthAuthoritative turned off to "stop" after
mod_auth fails?  How can I determine if there is some other authentication
it is secretly trying?

Thanks for any help you can provide..

Jason.