httpd-users mailing list archives

From Wim.Van.Leu...@ldc.be
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache reverse and caching proxy
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:27:15 GMT
Hello Axel-St├ęphane,

If I can follow what you are trying to tell me, I should add the
"expiresactive on" directive on the source server instead of the caching
server?

Axel-St├ęphane  SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORGRAV@europe.adp.com>
12/01/2006 15:12
Please respond to
users@httpd.apache.org

<users@httpd.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [users@httpd] Apache reverse and caching proxy

The mod_expires that you activate with "ExpiresActive On" will add an
Expires header to the responses sent to the client. It does nothing for
Apache cache expiration. It does however have an effect on the expiration
of downstream caches, in your case probably on the User Agent cache.

For cache expiration you should use the CacheDefaultExpire directive.  I
believe mod_cache will make a conditional request for the resource when
the cache entry gets stale.

If you set CacheDefaultExpires to a low value, mod_cache will frequently
try to refresh the cache.

CacheDefaultExpires affects only responses that do not contain an explicit
expiry date.

-ascs