httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] HTTP auth and custom login pages
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:01:54 GMT

That's not how basic auth works. There's no real login or session from the server's POV. The
browser has to get a 401 Unauthorized before it knows that the resource is protected. That's
what makes it prompt for a user/pass. Then it caches the credentials and submits them with
every subsequent request in that realm.

To do what "the management" want, you need to build a session and that means cookies and server-sided
logic (PHP, CGI, Cocoon etc..)

> I'd hate to have to
> come up with an entirely new authentication scheme.
> .htaccess files are
> so damn convenient.

To expand on Nick's point about server performance - it's a common misconception that Auth
directives *have* to go in a .htacess file. In fact, they can also go straight into the config
in a suitable <Directory> container. Then the config is loaded in memory and it's pretty
fast. If the directives are in a .htacess file, it has to be opened, read into memory and
closed *for every request* in that dir (this is in case anything has changed in the file since
the last request).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> --Andy