httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Dr. Stephen Judd" <sj...@seas.upenn.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] permissions problem
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:45:07 GMT
I'm confused about something in the security model of my Apache-run
website.
I can access all the files that are grandchildren of my DocumentRoot,
(i.e. any file in DocumentRoot/radar is accessible),
but none that are great grandchildren
(i.e. any file in DocumentRoot/radar/data is not accessible).
Instead I get this:
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /radar/data/hi3.html on this
> server.

The message dumped out on the httpd/error_log is this:
> [Mon Jan 30 15:54:49 2006] [error] (13)Permission denied: access
> to /radar/data/hi3.html denied
Note that this is NOT a "forbidden by rule" message. Hence I believe
the issue should
be one of file permissions, not one of Apache configuration.

The permissions on the radar directory are these:
> drwxr-xr-x  3 radar radargrp 4096 Jan 27 22:21 radar
The permissions on the data directory are these:
> drwxrwxrwx  4 radar radargrp 4096 Jan 26 09:13 data
More open you cannot get!

Why can radar/data/hi3.html not be accessed???
sj