httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-St├ęphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] mod_deflate question
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 07:34:24 GMT
It actually seems like the size of the contents is increased by mod_deflate... but yes, it
is definitely processed by mod_deflate. The reason why the compressed content is bigger than
the input probably is that the amount of data is so small.

Regarding the compression level, be aware that you may end up spending a lot more CPU cycles
achieving very little compression in comparison to what a lower lower compression level would
have given you. Thus this may hurt overall performance. Compression really pays off when the
bandwidth is limited. However, the more bandwidth is available, the less you gain in compressing.

I believe the default compression level is a good trade-off between output/input ratio and
performance.

-ascs
________________________________

From: Fenlason, Josh [mailto:jfenlason@ptc.com]
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 7:58 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] mod_deflate question

I added the following to my Apache configuration:

  DeflateFilterNote Input instream
  DeflateFilterNote Output outstream
  DeflateFilterNote Ratio ratio
  LogFormat '"%r" %{outstream}n/%{instream}n (%{ratio}n%%)' deflate
  CustomLog logs/deflate_log deflate
  DeflateCompressionLevel 9

I have a question about the following entries from the resulting deflate log.

    "GET /jsp-examples/deflated.jsp HTTP/1.1" 18/16 (112%)
    "GET /jsp-examples/notdeflated.jsp HTTP/1.1" -/- (-%)

The request for deflated.jsp, the first line, is being deflated, correct?
The request for notdeflated.jsp, the second line, is *not* being deflated, correct?

I just wanted to make sure I'm reading the log right.  Thanks in advance.
,
Josh.