httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-St├ęphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Max number of connections from a single client to a server.
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:58:19 GMT
 After re-reading the original post, I observe the mention of "from a single client".

There is nothing that limits the number of connections from any particular client.

-ascs

-----Original Message-----
From: Axel-St├ęphane SMORGRAV
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 11:09 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Max number of connections from a single client to a server.

There are several parameters that determine the maximum number of connections.

Only one of them is an Apache parameter: MaxClients.

In addition to this, there are system limits that restrict the number of connections a single
process may accept. If you use the worker MPM of Apache 2.x, the maximum number of file descriptors
that can be opened by a single process may be a factor, especially for a proxy.

You can browse or set that limit using "ulimit -n" on Unices. Kernel parameters define a "hard"
limit that cannot be exceeded, as well as a default "soft" limit. In Solaris those are rlim_fd_max
and rlim_fd_cur. In Linux those parameters are set in the /proc file system (I believe it
is /proc/sys/fs/file-max).

-ascs