httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-St├ęphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Max number of connections from a single client to a server.
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:08:59 GMT
There are several parameters that determine the maximum number of connections.

Only one of them is an Apache parameter: MaxClients.

In addition to this, there are system limits that restrict the number of connections a single
process may accept. If you use the worker MPM of Apache 2.x, the maximum number of file descriptors
that can be opened by a single process may be a factor, especially for a proxy.

You can browse or set that limit using "ulimit -n" on Unices. Kernel parameters define a "hard"
limit that cannot be exceeded, as well as a default "soft" limit. In Solaris those are rlim_fd_max
and rlim_fd_cur. In Linux those parameters are set in the /proc file system (I believe it
is /proc/sys/fs/file-max).

-ascs
________________________________

From: paritosh mahana [mailto:paritosh.mahana@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 7:22 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Max number of connections from a single client to a server.

Hi all,
What is the max number of connection a server allows from a single
client and how to change it(both in windows and linux).
And how exactly the server determines the number of connections from a
single client? I dont think it uses client's IP (there can be many
people behind same NAT). I think this is based on session. Can someone
enlighten me here.

Thanks.