httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-St├ęphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] rewrite gurus help? (with mod_proxy_ajp)
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 13:04:21 GMT
Generally speaking this will cause no problem unless the backend server issues a HTTP 302 (or
other redirection) with a Location header that needs the reverse transformation.

I do not know if that could ever happen in the case of AJP, but imagine the Tomcat issues
a redirect to ajp://theTomcatBox:8009/pub/foobar. The Apache RP needs to translate that URL
to http://servername/pub/foobar so that the client is redirected to a location it can actually
reach. That is what ProxyPassReverse does.

If the application never issues redirects, or if you set "ProxyPreserveHost On", it may not
be necessary.

-ascs

________________________________

From: Oliver.Schaudt@unilog.de [mailto:Oliver.Schaudt@unilog.de]
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 1:50 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: AW: [users@httpd] rewrite gurus help? (with mod_proxy_ajp)

Hi Axel-Stephane

is a
  RewriteRule ^/pub(.*)$        ajp://theTomcatBox:8009/pub$1 [P]
not the similar like
  ProxyPass                /pub      ajp://theTomcatBox:8009/pub
  ProxyPassReverse  /pub      ajp://theTomcatBox:8009/pub

I have had several Apache's from 1.3 to 2.2 which have had no problems with this.

Oliver Schaudt