httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Gary W. Smith" <g...@primeexalia.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0 on RedHat EL 4 - httpd process will not start
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 03:05:01 GMT
Kermit,

I know that it runs fine out of the box as we have multiple RHEL 4
servers.  Did you enable selinux by chance as part of the configuration?
I recall this being a problem some time ago for some of the
applications.

Gary Wayne Smith

________________________________

From: Kermit Short [mailto:k_short@lanl.gov]
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 3:22 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0 on RedHat EL 4 - httpd process
will not start

Gary-

            I understand.  I'm not logging in as these users.  What I
meant by saying that I attempted to run apache as the users "apache" and
"www-data", was that I specified those usernames in the httpd.conf file.
I have attempted to launch the process using either sudo or a direct
root login, so when I issue the command "/etc/init.d/httpd start"  I'm
doing so with uid 0.  Nonetheless, I receive the error message of  "bad
username".  Thanks for your advice, though!

Kermit Short

System Administrator

CCN-DC-1 D-Div

ph: 7-6360