httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jean Bonnot <hbofb...@link2mail.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] high load average on Apache 1.3 hosting 8000 conc. users forum
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:48:21 GMT
devnull@plugthebox.net a écrit :

>Mainly VBulletin is a php script. I don't serve much static html files.
>How can php be tuned to optimize its performance?

Usually, any php-forum has an option to make it storing generated pages
as html-static. In that case,
pages are regenerated only when a user make something new in it. This
act nearly as a cache.
In that case, your webserver will serves only "static pages" : your php,
wich is I think a module
dynamycally linked in your apache, will made is job only when he has to
do it: not regenerating the
same page again and again. Try to make a ration on how much time php
regenerate the same page
(how much people are seeing it) and how much times the page is changed
(someone reply in a forum) ?
(The ration might be worst on the thread list indexes).

After that, you should enable a mod expire on your graphic content
and/or html pages or delegate
this part on another server.
Try to see if you can enable mod_deflate and or mod_gzip but serving
only pre-gzipped files: I
remember this was an option but I didn't see it for a long time.

Usually, when looking for an enhanced way to serve static content, you
should take a look at
http://www.lighttpd.net/ or http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/ or boa
or even zeus..
With apache, you can achieve nearly these enhanced performances server
when playing with
kqueue, poll/epoll, threaded based server. The worst multiplexing model
being select-prefork one.
I have nothing against apache and I respect it's developper's great work
but it's too general to
serve high loads web servers.

Continuing to descend low in the system, you should look more carefully
at your tcp-stacks buffers
but it's depend on your system. But if you don't know what's this,
forget this asap. ;-)

JB.