httpd-users mailing list archives

From Annie Dumont <annie.dum...@univ-reunion.fr>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to execute cgi on a proxied host ?
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:53:31 GMT
Hi Axel-Stéphane,

Sorry, i forget to give the apache version : 1.3.31 :-(
I don't know if this answer your question, but when i put in a browser
http://10.10.10.10/cgi-bin/subrep/file.cgi (host where the cgi-script i
want to execute are) it works.
When i put
http://distant.machine.univ-reunion.fr/cgi-bin/subrep/file.cgi (so the
same machine behind a reverse proxy), i get :

  Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/PBE/list_superfamily.cgi on
this server.
Apache/1.3.31 Server at [distant.machine].univ-reunion.fr Port 80

Am i false if i think that reverse-proxy does not know where to find the
cgi-script on the 10.10.10.10 machine, or is it something else ?

i try to put a Directory directive in the virtual host :
<Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin/>
    AllowOverride none
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

where /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ is the absolute path to cgi folder on 10.10.10.10
It doesn't work either,and perhaps was it a nut thing to do.

So if you have an idea ...
Thanks for help.
cordialement. annie

Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV a écrit :

> Annie,
>
>You do not specify what version of Apache you are using.
>
>My understanding is that there is a content server somewhere that also hosts cgi-scripts,
and you have put a reverse proxy in front of that server. You do NOT want CGI scripts to be
executed on the reverse proxy.

>Have you tested against the configuration you outline below and actually found that paths
prefixed with /cgi-bin are actually interpreted as CGI-scripts by the reverse proxy?

>Tests I made with Apache 2.0.54 show that it works just fine. The CGI script is NOT executed
on the reverse proxy. A quick look at the code of mod_proxy and mod_cgi seems to confirm this
since the mod_proxy handler registers all its hooks before mod_cgi (except post_config).

>I suggest you test your configuration below. If you actually do observe that the CGI scripts
are executed on the reverse proxy, please report back and we'll look into it again.

>Cordialement,
>-ascs

but those on the 10.10.10.10 ? Is it just possible ?