httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Hoefakker <...@iw.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Using environment variable in httpd.conf
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 01:37:05 GMT
As far as I know, it's an undocumented "feature".  But, in my
experience, it does actually work quite well.  While I vaguely recall a
note on the development list questioning whether or not this should be
removed, I would love to see this become a full-fledged documented
feature as it is very useful in situations such as yours.

In your httpd.conf file you can use environment variables like this:
${varname}

In our environment, we use environment variables for quite a few things:
ServerRoot
Port
DocumentRoot
module paths - both bundled and custom modules
User & group  (different users in development vs. production)
path to piped log program
log file path
etc...

Hope this helps.