httpd-users mailing list archives

From cifroes <cifr...@netcabo.pt>
Subject [users@httpd] deny from all is needed?
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2006 23:58:42 GMT
Hi,

I'm having a small argument with another "sys admin" (ok, newbies sys
admins :P) and i would like to know if you can help, I want to restrict
a dir to only a network (10.254.0.0/24). I'm using this config:

<VirtualHost *:80>

        ServerName      test.example.com

        DocumentRoot    /var/www/manual

        ErrorLog       /var/log/error_log

        CustomLog      /var/log/access_log common

        <Directory "/var/www/manual">

                Order deny,allow

                Allow from 10.254.0.0/24

        </Directory>

</VirtualHost>

As you noticed i'm not using in the directory directive the "deny from
all" instruction and that is my doubt: *is it still correct to use it
this way without the "deny from all" or the deny from all is needed for
this to work?*

I tried it and i think it works as is, but my friend is telling me he
always uses deny from all and that it is needed... Apache version is the
latest from 2.0 and all other configs are not touched.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
  -- cifroes