httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark McCulligh <mmccu...@visualtech.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.0 and Basic AuthType
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2006 19:58:47 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

>On 1/6/06, Mark McCulligh <mmcculli@visualtech.ca> wrote:
>

>>Here is everything:
>>

>Thanks.  That was much clearer.
>

>>In the httpd.conf file I uncommented the httpd-vhosts.conf,
>>httpd-ssl.conf and httpd-default.conf options.  No other changes.
>>

>Why did you uncomment those extra config files?  Especially
>httpd-default.conf should almost never be needed and httpd-vhosts.conf
>will mess up your site unless you edit it, and you haven't described
>any edits.
>

>><Directory "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot"> /
>>AuthType Basic
>> AuthName "Login"
>> AuthUserFile /usr/local/httpd/pwd/users.pwd
>> Require valid-user
>>/</Directory> /
>>

>I assume those extra slashes in the first and last line are not in the
>actual config file.
>

>>When I try to access the /awstats/awstats.pl file I get a 403 error,
>>browser does not prompt me to login.  It work fine if I don't add Basic
>>Auth to the wwwroot folder. [AWStats default setup]
>>

>Given that this directory is not under the DocumentRoot and the
>default config includes
><Directory />
>Deny from all
></Directory>
>
>You'll need an "Allow from all" in your awstats <Directory> section to
>get access.  Of course, you should be getting a message in the error
>log about that.  Are you SURE the error log contains NOTHING?
>
>Joshua.

I added the "Allow from all" to the directory and it works now.

<Directory "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot">
 AuthType Basic
 AuthName "Login"
 AuthUserFile /usr/local/httpd/pwd/users.pwd
 Require valid-user
 Allow from all
</Directory>

Just wondering why in other versions of Apache I did not have to have
this line to get AWStats to work? Is it because with Apache 2.2.0 the
default directory is now "Deny from all"?

I commented out the httpd-default.conf file again. I uncommented it
trying to get things to work.  I do have a couple website in the
httpd-vhost.conf file.

Thanks again for your help Joshua,
Mark.