httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark McCulligh <mmccu...@visualtech.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.2.0 and Basic AuthType
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2006 19:24:00 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

>On 1/6/06, Mark McCulligh <mmcculli@visualtech.ca> wrote:
>

>>Joshua Slive wrote:

>>>What does the error log say?
>>>
>>>Joshua.
>>>

>>The access log file just have one line:
>>
>>IP - - date "GET filename HTTP/1.1" 403 370 "-" "browser"
>>
>>The error log file has nothing.
>>

>Everything is much harder if you randomly obscure parts of your
>configuration and log entries.
>
>Are you sure you have all the modules you need included in the server?
> You'll need at least mod_auth_basic, mod_authn_file, and
>mod_authz_user.
>
>Joshua.

Sorry for leaving part out, just a lot of typing that I did not think
was important.

Here is everything:

I configured Apache 2.2.0 with all modules on
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/httpd --enable-modules=all --enable-ssl
--enable-so

In the httpd.conf file I uncommented the httpd-vhosts.conf,
httpd-ssl.conf and httpd-default.conf options.  No other changes.

I then added AWStats 6.5 to the server and added Basic Auth to the
awstats folder to protect it.

This is want I added to the end of httpd.conf file
/#
# Directives to add to your Apache conf file to allow use of AWStats as
a CGI.
#
Alias /awstatsclasses "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/classes/"
Alias /awstatscss "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/css/"
Alias /awstatsicons "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/icon/"
ScriptAlias /awstats/ "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin/"
#
# This is to permit URL access to scripts/files in AWStats directory.
#
<Directory "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot"> /
AuthType Basic
 AuthName "Login"
 AuthUserFile /usr/local/httpd/pwd/users.pwd
 Require valid-user
/</Directory> /

When I try to access the /awstats/awstats.pl file I get a 403 error,
browser does not prompt me to login.  It work fine if I don't add Basic
Auth to the wwwroot folder. [AWStats default setup]

My access_log file has one line
10.197.29.143 - - [06/Jan/2006:13:14:09 -0500] "GET /awstats/awstats.pl
HTTP/1.1" 403 370 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT
5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"

I create the user.pwd file using the htpasswd command
htpasswd -c users.pwd testuser

Is there anything else you would like to know about my configuration?

In short I just configured Apache 2.2.0, setup vhost and ssl. Then tried
to add AWStats.

Thanks for you help,
Mark.