httpd-users mailing list archives

From <java_n...@charter.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Uninstalling Apache on OS X
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2006 06:10:59 GMT
Greetings to all!  My name is James and I am new to this list.  I'm working on learning Apache,
HTTP, and all that jazz.  I have an Apple Powerbook running OS X 10.4.4, and I would like
to know if it is safe and/or possible to uninstall Apache.

Reason being, I learn best by starting at the beginning, as it were, and I would like to be
able to start fresh with Apache by compiling and controlling where all the files and stuff
go.  Most of the documentation on the Web about Apache talks about it being installed in /usr/local/,
and it's not like that on my system.  And my OCD compels me to make it so. ;-)

So, is it a good idea to uninstall Apache from OS X and install fresh from compiling the source
(I'll stick with 1.3 until Apple releases some info about 2.X support)?  Or should I just
leave it be and make do with what I have?  If I can uninstall it, what would be the best way
to go about it?  I'll be doing some research on the Web, but I thought I'd throw this out
to this mailing list as I'm sure you people would be the best to answer.

Many thanks, and take care.

James