httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Kermit Short" <k_sh...@lanl.gov>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache 2.0 on RedHat EL 4 - httpd process will not start
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:21:58 GMT
I'm having trouble getting the HTTPD process to kick off.  I receive an
error message when trying to start the daemon SYSV style (using the init.d
startup script): httpd: bad user name apache.

I have searched and searched, can't find a thing.  I've re-installed the
RPMs from the original RedHat CD.  I've made sure that the user apache is a
member of the group apache.  The system is a member of an NIS domain, but I
can't image that apache would require an NIS-based account.  Has anyone seen
something like this before?  Thanks in advance for your help!

Kermit Short

System Administrator

CCN-DC-1 D-Div

ph: 7-6360