httpd-users mailing list archives

From "David Salisbury" <salisb...@globe.gov>
Subject [users@httpd] Conf file macros?
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:28:09 GMT

Just wondering ( I don't see it in the docs ) if one can define "variables" in the Apache
conf. files.

i.e. I have seen people write something along the lines of

%{HTTP_REFERER}

in their conf file.

So..  is there any support for a sort of variable substitution within the conf file.. e.g.

%DIR=/usr/local/

and then

ServerRoot %{DIR}

I'm doubting it but this would be nice.

-Dave

----- Original Message -----
From: "Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV" <Axel-Stephane.SMORGRAV@europe.adp.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:36 AM
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Apache reverse and caching proxy

How does this work for you: it depends on what you want.

If you want certain URLs to be revalidated with every request, you should follow Joshua's
advice and make sure that those resources
are served with Cache-Control: must-revalidate. If the source server is an Apache and the
resources are static files, you can
probably use mod_headers (Header set or Header append) to achieve this. The downside of this
strategy is that it makes caching the
resource on the reverse proxy more or less pointless.

If you can accept a certain delay between the time where the source is updated and the update
becomes effective for the client,
playing with CacheDefaultExpires may get you there. The RP cache will be revalidated every
time the cache entry becomes stale, and
you can determine the interval using CacheDefaultExpires. That will reduce the number of requests
that need to be forwarded all the
way to the source.

BR
-ascs