httpd-users mailing list archives

From "David Salisbury" <salisb...@globe.gov>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] permissions problem
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:58:14 GMT
>> On 1/30/06, Dr. Stephen Judd <sjudd@seas.upenn.edu> wrote:
>>> I'm confused about something in the security model of my Apache-run
>>> website.I can access all the files that are grandchildren of my
>>> DocumentRoot,
>>> (i.e. any file in DocumentRoot/radar is accessible),
>>> but none that are great grandchildren
>>> (i.e. any file in DocumentRoot/radar/data is not accessible).
>>> Instead I get this:
>>>

>>> Forbidden
>>>
>>> You don't have permission to access /radar/data/hi3.html on this
>>> server.
>>>
>>> The message dumped out on the httpd/error_log is this:
>>>
>>> [Mon Jan 30 15:54:49 2006] [error] (13)Permission denied: access to
>>> /radar/data/hi3.html denied
>>> Note that this is NOT a "forbidden by rule" message. Hence I
>>> believe the
>>> issue should
>>> be one of file permissions, not one of Apache configuration.
>>>

>>> The permissions on the radar directory are these:
>>>
>>> drwxr-xr-x  3 radar radargrp 4096 Jan 27 22:21 radar
>>> The permissions on the data directory are these:
>>>
>>> drwxrwxrwx  4 radar radargrp 4096 Jan 26 09:13 data
>>> More open you cannot get!
>>>
>>> Why can radar/data/hi3.html not be accessed???
>>
>> Are you running Fedora or any other SELinux distrubtion?
>>
>> Joshua.
>
> No Fedora or SELinux:
>     Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat) Server at localhost Port 80
> sj

I'm not so sure about your "forbidden by rule" assumption.  I believe if
you were to Deny access to an IP address you get a simple "permission denied".
So I wouldn't discount a configuration problem.. maybe even a hidden .htaccess
guy hanging out.

Also, are these directories local to the machine.. i.e. not NFS mounts?

-Dave