httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] user nobody group nobody??
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 03:27:22 GMT
On 12/19/05, Arthur DiSegna <adisegna@authentium.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering about the necessity of placing User Nobody and Group Nobody lines in httpd.conf.
>
> I loaded a high performance type httpd.conf file and these values are left out. Apache
still runs the initial process as root with all child processes run under nobody.

> Is it even necessary to specify the user and group values in an httpd.conf file (unless
you want something different)?

Not really.  To see how a directive behaves when it is omitted from
the config file, check the "Default" setting in the docs:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mpm_common.html#user
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mpm_common.html#group
In the case of User/Group the default is #-1, which will work fine on
some OSes and not so well on others.

Joshua.