httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] strange cache problem with Apache
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:33:42 GMT
On 12/12/05, Randall Mackie <randy@geosystem.us> wrote:
> The problem: when we update some of the html files in the document root,
> those changes do not become immediately observable when we try to load
> the web page unless we clear /var/cache/httpd first (regardless of whether we
> clear the cache in our web browsers).
>
> Even stranger, we only experience this problem with one of the aliased
> domain names (www.geosystem.net). The others work fine.
>
> Is this a configuration issue, or some other issue?
>
> Is there a way to set up the cache, or set the cache to zero? In other words,
> why does Apache cache the files? If they are changed, why doesn't Apache serve
> up the new files?

Are you sure it is apache caching the files and not another proxy
inbetween?  If it is apache, then it would be caused by the
CacheEnable directives someplace in your config files. I'm guessing
that mandrake uses some complicated config that automatically enables
the caching directive whenever you load mod_cache.

As to why apache sends the cached version, it is because mod_cache
uses ordinary http caching rules to determine whether a cache entry is
fresh.  If you are serving static files, then there is usually no need
to put mod_cache in front.  Without mod_cache, apache will always
serve the most up-to-date version.

Joshua.