httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3: Aliases no longer working
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:42:09 GMT
On 12/12/05, Stephen Collyer <scollyer@netspinner.co.uk> wrote:
> Well, if we're going to be picky, I guess you're right: I should
> have said that I found nothing that helped me. Yes, I got an "access
> denied by server configuration", but let's face it, if you get a 403
> then it doesn't take a genius to guess that it's the server config;
> the question is *where* in the config, and that's where verbose
> trace would help.

Well, if you had actually posted that error message to the list,
instead of telling us there was nothing there, then it would have
avoided the wild-goose-chase that we all went on.  That message tells
you that it is an Allow/Deny in your httpd.conf that is causing the
problem, and not filesystem permissions.

Then the only extra information that apache could give you would be to
tell you exactly where in the config file the relevant Deny statement
lived.  In fact, I believe I remember a proposal to emit the config
file name and line number on errors like this, but it never got off
the ground, unfortunately.

Joshua.