httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3: Aliases no longer working
Date Sat, 10 Dec 2005 20:00:41 GMT
On 12/10/05, Stephen Collyer <scollyer@netspinner.co.uk> wrote:

> And the perms are fine - chmod'ed everything wide open earlier
> on to be sure.
>
> There's a ScriptAlias set up pointing to a cgi-bin dir thats
> working just fine, too. This strikes me as odd.

You checked ALL PARENT DIRECTORIES?  Are you using selinux?  Are you
using symlinks?  Have you tried to su to the User/Group specified in
httpd.conf and see if you can access the files?

> I'm much keener to get Apache to tell why it's returning a
> 403 rather than guessing - do you know if this is possible ?

Sure; first you need to find the code in apache that is denying
access, and then add an appropriate error log message to that code
path.  Easy, huh?

An alternative is to run the request under a debugger and step through
it until you see what is causing the problem.  See:
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html

Joshua.