httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] processes remaining in memory during hours
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2005 15:50:46 GMT
On 12/8/05, fabian.frederick@prov-liege.be
<fabian.frederick@prov-liege.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>    I'm back again with my unsolved problem ... Apache 2.0.49 runs correctly for some
hours (httpd2-prefork processes are 4 minutes old maximum) ; then some processes remain hours
in memory with 10% process each ... Does some solution exist to force Apache to kill those
unused processes ?

Apache automatically manages its processes.  But if the processes are
constantly using cpu, that implies that they are stuck someplace (and
very likely in a third party module) and hence won't be subject to the
regular controls.  You should do some more debugging (log files,
mod_status, debugger, etc) to try to figure out what the processes are
doing.  (You are also running a very old version, which doesn't help.)

Joshua.