httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] error on startup: could not log pid to file /var/run/
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2005 16:23:50 GMT
On 12/3/05, Terrence Brannon <> wrote:
> Hi,
>  1 - my errorlog states:
>  [Sat Dec 03 05:17:02 2005] [error] httpd: could not log pid to file
> /var/run/
>  so my first question is: is this error fatal? or did Apache continue to
> startup? Is there a verbose mode for apache startup that would make this
> clear to me?

I don't know whether this is a fatal error; if not, you should get a
"succesfully started" message after that.  It is easy to fix in any
case: just put a PIDFile directive in httpd.conf pointing to someplace
writable by the user starting apache.

>  2 - I dont understand why the Order directive was rejected. DId I need to
> load something for this to work?

I don't see this error anywhere.  It would be caused by the lack of
mod_access (in 1.3/2.0) or mod_authz_host (in 2.2).  See "httpd -l" to
see what modules are compiled in and the modules/ directory for
modules available to load with the LoadModule directive.

See <URL:> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
   "   from the digest:
For additional commands, e-mail: