httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gerry Danen <gda...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess to prevent external access
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:57:40 GMT
Oddly enough, httpd.conf does not show "AllowOverride" anywhere...

This is really baffling!

Gerry

On 12/22/05, Boyle Owen <Owen.Boyle@swx.com> wrote:
> [...]
a Directory block in the main config.
> 3) The error above implies that you have an "AllowOverride" in the main config which
is disabling the use of .htaccess files (eg, AllowOverride none).

> What I guess is happening is that the AllowOverride in the main config is disabling the
.htacces so your Allow/Deny directives don't have any effect. The request gets in but then
the script that's supposed to run is failing for an unconnected reason.

> Probably if you remove AllowOverride, it'll "work" (ie, allow some addresses, deny others)
but you really should read up on the docs for the directives mentioned.