httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@torchbox.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Problem when mixing NameVirtualHost + non with SSL - "Oops, no RSA or DSA server certificate found?!"
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 10:52:04 GMT
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Axel-St├ęphane  SMORGRAV wrote:
> This might give you a clue as to what is happening and why you get the
> error.

That all shows everything as expected

> However, again, SSL and name-based virtual hosting does not work because
> the Host header cannot possibly be known to the server until the SSL
> session has been established, and the SSL session needs a certificate to
> be established and for that purpose needs to know the value of the host
> header in order to know what certificate to use.

Ah, but I have a wildcard certificate. So, all the SSL sites hosted on
this one IP can work with the same certificate.

If I setup my server with only the name based virtual hosting for SSL,
then those sites sharing a certificate do work fine.

The problem comes if I have one IP doing name based virtual hosting for
SSL *with multiple sites active* and other IPs doing single virtual host
per ip SSL. In this situation, Apache is getting all confused, and giving
the error.

If I have only IP virtual hosting for SSL, apache works. If I have IP
virtual hosting for SSL on most IPs, name virtual hosting on another BUT
only 1 site active, that works. If I only have name virtual hosting for
SSL, then that works.

Nick