httpd-users mailing list archives

From Wim.Van.Leu...@ldc.be
Subject Re: [users@httpd] reverse proxy with cache ...
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:27:34 GMT
Doesn't the cache verify the last mod times of the remote URLs?
If configuring the max-age=0 is there still functionality in the caching
or will it continuously expire?
How can we control the headers in the source server?

Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca>
Sent by: jslive@gmail.com
20/12/2005 17:23
Please respond to
users@httpd.apache.org

users@httpd.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: [users@httpd] reverse proxy with cache ...

On 12/20/05, Wim.Van.Leuven@ldc.be <Wim.Van.Leuven@ldc.be> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> i'm quite new to HTTPD and trying to figure out how to configure the
apache
> webserver as a reverse proxy with cache to a central intranet server.
The
> idea is to make the reverse proxy as a local site proxy to cache
> applications launched through java webstart.
>
> I've been able to setup a httpd configuration acting as a reverse proxy.
> However I can't seem to get the cache working. Well the cache works
(disk
> cache) in that it caches the central static files (images, jar files
etc),
> however when updating the central files (touching the last mod time),
the
> proxy server doesn't detect the change and updates it's cache.

How do you expect the proxy server to find out about the updated
files?  There is no built-in way to do this.  You can trigger it
yourself by making http requests to the proxy for the appropriate URLs
with appropriate headers like
Cache-control: max-age=0

Joshua.