httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] .htaccess to prevent external access
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:04:34 GMT

1) Your resource is a script (hence the error 500) - it's easier to debug if it's a plain
file.
2) Your Allow directives are in a .htaccess file - it's easier to debug if they're in a Directory
block in the main config.
3) The error above implies that you have an "AllowOverride" in the main config which is disabling
the use of .htaccess files (eg, AllowOverride none).

What I guess is happening is that the AllowOverride in the main config is disabling the .htacces
so your Allow/Deny directives don't have any effect. The request gets in but then the script
that's supposed to run is failing for an unconnected reason.

Probably if you remove AllowOverride, it'll "work" (ie, allow some addresses, deny others)
but you really should read up on the docs for the directives mentioned.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Gerry

the sender's company.